The event will consist of a late-afternoon discussion on whether large digital content platforms should be charged for the usage of telecommunication networks with our distinguished speakers:
- A Member of the European Parliament (TBC);
- Ms Rita Wezenbeek, Director, Connectivity, European Commission, DG CNECT;
- Mr Nicolas Cote-Colisson, Global Head of Communications, Equity Research, HSBC;
- Mr Thomas Volmer, Global Director of Content Delivery Policy, Netflix;
- Mr Ramon Fernandez, deputy CEO, Orange
The event will be moderated by Matthew Newman, Chief Correspondent, MLex.
The audience will be able to ask questions during both the discussion and the Q&A session through sli.do #TelcosNetwork.
The EU has proposed ambitious objectives in terms of connectivity with the targets enshrined in the Europe’s Digital Decade initiative: gigabit connectivity and 5G for all by 2030, amongst others. Meanwhile, European telecom operators have scaled up their efforts in order to upgrade their respective networks and have already invested 500bn euro over the past 10 years. Delivering fibre and 5G connectivity service is essential for Europe to provide for state of the art services to citizens, public authorities and businesses and to ensure a swift finalisation of the digital and green transitions, which also need to be accelerated in light of the current geopolitical context.Posted by orange